Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Legend of the spring


Visited Andersonville prison - My mother always told the story of her, I think it was her Great Grandfather, was in the Andersonville prison and when he came home he was so weak that he died. I have always wanted to visit and finally did. Very emotional, especially the POW museum, with videos, photos etc.


Photo 2 - The legend-the prisoners had little water and what they did have was contaminated, one night there was a very bad storm and lightning hit the ground and water started to flow from an underground spring.
Photo 1-This picture, the soldiers graves are further apart than the Civil War Prisoners. The prisoners were placed shoulder to shoulder.



3 comments:

  1. I can understand how that must have been very emotional for you Susan. Probably somewhere you needed to go to though. I hope you have a good 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very bad time for mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting place to visit, but I can see why it was emotional to be there.

    ReplyDelete